Saturday, August 10, 2013

Garden Update - vegetables everywhere :)

Tuesday night I was worried that this next garden update might not be a good one.  Thankfully the hail that went through our area was not as bad by our gravelly road.  Not even 10 miles away there were so many ruined gardens.  So sad.

Gardening - sweet corn, zucchini, pumpkin

We are still picking snap peas, most of our green beans are picked, there are quite a few zucchini, most of the tomatoes are just starting to turn red, and there are plenty of small peppers.  My cucumbers are growing quite slowly this year, though our neighbor has shared some of hers.  She also shared quite a few green beans again this year.  We've dug up a few of the red onions and will likely dig the rest up soon.  The sweet corn my husband planted is tasseling and you can see the beginnings of the ears of corn which is exciting. 

My kiddo is very excited about how big the pumpkin is already, a little smaller than a cantaloupe.  I guess I'll have to take a pic of him next to it for the next post. 

I know I mentioned before that we had birds making a home in the birdhouse on our garden gate.  For the last few weeks (maybe even a month), we've been able to hear the little birds when we go to the garden.  The momma bird always flies to a nearby tree and makes a lot of noise.  I'm hoping we'll get to see the little birds soon.

Its a growing garden and its such a blessing to have so many fresh veggies to add to our menu.

2 comments:

  1. I like hearing about your garden Krista! I just have tomatoes and peppers this year, but I'm hoping when we have more space I can pick your brain for starting a plot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie! This year is definitely better than last year. A lot of trial and error. Always a plus that we can water as much as we need without having to worry about $$$ since we have a well. We enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...